Hello American Canyon Residents!!!
Wow! What a wet winter! We really needed all that rain. I have to say, I am quite proud of our Public Works Department. Kimberly Park functioned marvelously during all the rains. At its peak, during the middle of December, it took on about one inch of rain per hour for almost three hours. It completely filled the park with approximately 1.2 million gallons of water. Now we just need the grass to grow!
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It!) – What a busy winter season, highlights are below:
- Magic of the Season – Magic of the Season went great! It includes all of our winter events. In an unexpected turn of events the Grinch lit the Holiday Tree and thousands of kids and families enjoyed more than 20 tons of snow.
- Pool Resurfacing – The Phillip West Aquatic Center was resurfaced due to the significant use it gets. It was completed on time and opened for the New Year.
- Covered Picnic Shelters – There are now five new picnic shelters available in American Canyon found at Veterans Park, Silver Oak, and Community Park 1. Also, a new fabric shade was installed at the dog park at Veterans Park.
IN PROCESS – We have made considerable progress on several projects:
- Clarke Ranch Master Plan – Developing a long-term plan for the development of Clarke Ranch is underway. Please plan to attend one of the upcoming open houses. [include
- April 22, 10-1pm – Come to our AmCan By the Bay Earth Day event and tell us what you would like to see at Clarke Ranch.
- April 25, beginning at 6:30pm – This is a joint City Council, Open Space Advisory Committee and Parks and Community Services Commission workshop.
- Newell Open Space Trail Design and Possible Closures – Design is approximately half-way complete on the Newell Open Space Creekside Trail. Design is expected to be completed by late summer and then construction will likely begin in mid to late summer. The preserve may need to be closed during construction. Keep an eye out for notices in the late spring.
UPCOMING –Look out for these accomplishments this summer:
- National Academy of Athletics – The Parks and Recreation Department has developed a partnership with National Academy of Athletics to offer sports-oriented classes, clinics and programs. Look out for upcoming offerings.
- May the Fourth – As a self-proclaimed Star Wars fanatic this is my favorite event of the year. We have out grown the gym and are planning for some of the activities outside. Plan to receive Jedi training and take on Darth Vader.
- Boys and Girls Club and Fourth of July – While it is great news that the Boys and Girls Club is about to start construction, it does cause some challenges for Fourth of July. The festivities will remain at Community Park 2. Please plan to come and enjoy the Fourth with 2,000 of your neighbors!
The best way to get the most up to date information and express your opinion on various parks and recreation topics is to like us on Facebook!